Monday, April 30, 2012

Sun Safety Series 2012

PhotobucketMay is just around the corner and I will once again publish my Sun Safety Series. Similar to last year, I will feature sun protective products for the family. In addition, I will have a guest author, or two, who will share important information about how to keep your family sun safe. The most common cancer in the US is skin cancer. The American Cancer Society estimates that approximately 76,250 cases of melanoma and 3.5 million basal and squamous cell skin cancer will be diagnosed in 2012. As summer approaches, campaigns for sun protection will abound. Sun safety is an important preventive step for skin cancer.

What is Don't Fry Day?
The National Council on Skin Cancer Prevention (NCSCP) established Don't Fry Day to create awareness about sun safety and to remind the public to protect their skin while outdoors. This year, Don't Fry Day is on May 25. To reduce the risk of overexposure to the sun's UV rays, the NCSCP suggests doing as many of the following:

1. Do not burn and avoid sun tanning and tanning beds
2. Seek shade when possible
3. Wear sun-protective clothing such as sunglasses, long-sleeves, and wide-brimmed hats
4. Apply sunscreen generously and often
5. Use extra caution near water, snow, and sand as these reflect UV 
6. Get Vitamin D safely

Visit the NCSCP website for more information about skin cancer and resources for Don't Fry Day.

MY EXPERIENCE
Last week, my family and I went to the Pet Expo. I was wearing short sleeves and did not put on sunblock. Later that afternoon, my cheeks, chest, and arms were pink. It seems that we are always rushing out the door trying to get through our day, to run errands, drop off the kids, get to an appointment, etc. that it is so easy to forget to be sun safe. Unfortunately, I am paying for my forgetfulness (more like laziness) today. Although my skin is not supersensitive, I do get itchy raised bumps due to sunburns. I have been itching for a week and there's nothing I can do about it. I'm just thankful that my son doesn't have the same reaction, as I did not put sunblock on him before the Pet Expo. We are going to Disneyland tomorrow, and not only am I going to put sunblock on him before we leave, I will make sure to bring the entire bottle with us. I'm also packing his favorite hat and sunglasses. I don't know if he'll wear them the whole day, but I will surely remind him to.

SUN SAFETY SERIES 2012 POSTS
Myths and Truths About Sunscreen 
Sun Protection Zone Greenbeanz hooded jacket 
Secret Advantage of Long Sleeves 
Baby Banz Chlorine Resistant One Piece Suit 
Lightspeed® Canopy  
Flap Happy® Fun in the Sun Hat 
All Terrain Aqua Sport  
Solartex Sun Gear Rash Guard and Board Shorts  
SunGrubbies Capkini  

References
American Cancer Society
National Council on Skin Cancer Prevention

Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this post. The opinions expressed in this post are solely mine.