Saturday, August 25, 2012

Breastfeeding Birth Plan

This is Part 2 of Lara's breastfeeding birth plan guest post (here is Part 1). Below is a checklist she's prepared for your convenience. This is a great list to start and tailor to your needs. Feel free to leave a comment with questions or email her at info@mamapeardesigns.com.





Breastfeeding Birth Plan
REMEMBER SOFT TECHNIQUE – Skin to Skin, Open Eyes, Fingertip Touch, Time Together
__I plan to exclusively breastfeed and want to nurse immediately following the birth.
__I want naked baby to be placed on my bare chest, immediately after delivery.
__After all medical procedures have been taken care of, I would like to be alone with my husband/partner and baby to initiate bonding while baby is alert.
__Please wait until after first successful feed to weigh, measure the baby, and apply eye ointment (optional procedure).
__Do not bathe the baby unless requested by my partner or myself.
__I want to room with the baby for the duration of my hospital stay.
__Please do not give the baby supplements (including formula, glucose, or plain water) without my consent, unless there is an urgent medical necessity.
__Unless I am unable to give my consent, please do not give the baby any supplements without first informing me of the reason(s) and seeking my consent.
__Please do not give my baby a pacifier, or bottle.
__If baby is unable to nurse, I would like to syringe feed, or use a supplemental nursing system (SNS).
__I would like to meet with the staff lactation consultant as soon as possible after baby is born.
__If a c-section is necessary, and the baby is healthy, I would like skin to skin with my baby while the procedure is being finished.  And if medical reasons necessitate, then I would like my husband/partner to go with the baby and start skin to skin as soon as possible until I can be with the baby for first feeding.  
__If my baby must go to the NICU, then I would like to start pumping as soon as possible after the birth.

Breastfeeding Birth Plan for Home
__ Use technology! Text, email, update your Facebook status, or Tweet the details of the birth that you want to share.  Doing so will keep you off the phone, ad allow you to rest and focus on your baby.  Designate your partner as the one in charge of all outside communications with people that you are not ready to talk to.
__Update your voicemail or answering machine on your home phone with your preferred details about the birth and that you will be in touch as soon as you are all rested.
__If friends offer to bring meals or goodies, schedule a delivery time that is convenient for you, and do not feel guilty for not entertaining anyone.
__Mama should be on baby’s schedule and partner should take over the household duties.  The laundry, cleaning, cooking will all be there and waiting once the “babymoon” is over, no rush to get it all done today or tomorrow.
__Plan to stay in your pajamas for as long as you like – you’ve earned it!
__Even if you are tired, take the time to relax in a warm shower and take a little break while partner holds baby or baby sleeps.  A nice shower can make almost any daunting day seem a little less so.
__Connect with a friend or mother who has breastfeeding experience to be your “on call” person for ANY question you may have, even if it seems silly at the time.  We have all been there, so ask away and ease your mind. Use the “sisterhood”!
__Find the nearest breastfeeding support groups meeting times and locations just in case you need more support in those early days/weeks.
__ Limit visitors to certain hours or days, and stay flexible.  If you are having a particularly rough day, don’t hesitate to call those who planned on coming and reschedule.  They should understand.  Try to plan for visitors between feedings (this can be difficult) so that you can be exposed on your couch and focusing on getting baby properly latched and positioned.
__Allow your partner to help with tasks such as holding rocking baby after feeds, bath time, soothing an upset baby, naps (this is always a popular one), and bottle introduction if you choose to do so (best after 4 weeks to avoid nipple preference) to help him/her feel connected to baby.

Disclaimer: This article was written by a guest author. I did not receive financial compensation to publish this post on my blog. All information and opinions presented by the guest authors are solely theirs.