Thursday, April 11, 2013

Truly's Natural Deodorant - This Stuff Really Works


Truly's Natural Deodorant 2 oz jar
In the past year, I've introduced a handful of lines of natural products for the home and for the kids. Recently, I've also been trying more natural personal care products for myself. Although, I do test the kids' body wash, lotion, and shampoo on me before trying it on them, I have not really shared any natural personal care products just for grown ups (or kids at heart). I tested a natural deodorant and absolutely loved it.


My decision to switch out of conventional deodorants did not come from the many claims of how bad aluminum is for the body or to avoid parabens and other toxic ingredients. Simply put, I tried many brands of conventional deodorant and they just didn't work with my body chemistry. I am not altogether a crunchy mama, though I do lean that way, but using a natural deodorant just seemed well, for lack of a better word, natural for me.


Truly's natural deodorant texture

I received a 2 ounce jar of Truly's Natural Deodorant for review on this blog. Upon opening the jar, the first thing I thought of was how much I wanted to lick it. It smelled like coconut jam. Yum. As you can see from the ingredients, it's made of coconut oil and sugar. How can you resist that? Although the weather has been nice and fair in SoCal, I was able to really test this product during a recent trip to the desert. Unfortunately, I got sick during the trip and my cold prevented me from smelling anything. So, my dear husband actually had to do the smell test for me. Suffice it to say that several hours after application, and perspiration, there was no detectable body odor. Success!


Truly's natural deodorant ingredient list

This is not the first natural deodorant that I've tried. However, it is the sweeter smelling of the two. The one thing about some natural deodorants is that they will melt in higher  temperatures (above 80 degrees Fahrenheit according to the Truly's website)  since they are made with natural oils. As you can see from the picture below, the shimmer is from the oil melting from the touch of my fingers. If you put this jar close enough to a heat source, say a really bright light that emits a lot of heat, the top layer will start to melt and the product gets mushy. Application does become a little challenging when it gets mushy, as I've learned from experience. Instead of applying a solid, you basically are applying a liquid deodorant. For me, it's no big deal. I've applied essential oils on my skin before so I'm used to applying liquids.


Truly's natural deodorant slightly melted

The deodorant is slightly textured due to the baking soda and you can feel it when rubbing your fingers together. It goes on smoothly and dries instantly. Although it's white in appearance, it dries clear so it won't stain your clothes.


Favorite features

  • It works! It's great at keeping body odor at bay.
  • Made from just 4 ingredients that you can pronounce
  • It smells delicious
  • Also can be used by kids

At $7.99 for 2 oz, I'd say that this is pretty pricey for a deodorant. However, it's cheaper than my other natural deodorant and about mid-priced compared to other natural deodorants in the market. I believe that personal care products are dependent on body chemistry and probably why you see reviews that are all over the place, whether it's for deodorant, perfume, sunscreen, bugspray, etc. If you are on the fence about using a natural deodorant, Truly's is a good value for an effective product and worth a try.


A little about Truly's Natural Deodorant

Truly's Natural Products is a small, home based business run by the Collison family in Harrington, Delaware. Angela Collison started the business due to growing demand for the natural deodorant that she was making for her friends and family.  Prompted by a personal health crisis and a desire to reduce her family's exposure to chemicals, Angela began researching natural ingredients and, after much experimentation, developed Truly's Natural Deodorant.  Both the company and the product are named after the youngest Collison daughter, Truly Mae.

Connect with Truly's Natural Deodorant on Facebook.

I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.