Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Zooming in a Race Car: A Cloud 9 Living Experience

getting inside of stock car
Ever since we were dating, my husband and I forewent exchanging gifts. I think there was one Christmas, our first Christmas, that we actually gave material gifts to each other. Instead, we opt for experience gifts. I have loved each and every one of our experience gifts; from the opera to a spa weekend get-away to a Mexican cruise. Experience gifts are memorable, and sometimes, once in a lifetime. Thanks to Cloud 9 Living, my husband was able to go on his own adventure in a stock car ride along.

The roar of a 600 horsepower engine – there are few things in the world that sound quite like it. Even though I’ve watched the movie Cars countless times with my son, the sound of a real, live racecar engine still sends a jolt of adrenaline through me. Sure, I’ve pretended that I was a racecar driver in my little two-seater sports car but legally riding in a car careening through the Autoclub Speedway in Fontana at over 120+ miles per hour was a new experience altogether. From the friendly staff that helped process my payment to Eddie, the heavy-footed driver that never touched the brake pedal, (yes, I was watching) I was genuinely pleased with the whole experience. My wife was worried that I would not be able to climb in through the window, but I channeled my inner Bo and Luke Duke and slid on in. Eddie asked me to state my name, where I was from, and lastly to give a thumbs up to the camera. As soon as that thumb was in the air, Eddie showed me what it felt like to be in a real racecar.
inside view of stock car

lap 2 around racetrack
My senses were being overloaded with the sound of the engine, the rush of the wind, the smell of the track and tires. That sensation you get when you take a turn too fast and your car feels like it’s going to flip over – imagine that the entire time. To commemorate the experience I bought the video to see what I looked like throughout the ride along and I still smile when I think about that ear-to-ear grin that I had the entire three laps. Is the experience worth the price tag? Every penny. Is there anything that I would change? I wish they had a record of how fast we went on the video since there was no speedometer in the car. Also the video quality was not even close to what I had come to expect in this digital day and age. They gave me a flash drive with a self-extracting PC video viewer and if you’re a Mac User you can just view the AVI file. All in all I truly enjoyed this experience. Whether you are a NASCAR enthusiast or a guy like me who drives a mini van on the weekends, I’m sure you’ll agree that this experience is awesome.
stadium seat view of racetrack

coming in from last lap

A little about Cloud 9 Living

John Augst founded Cloud 9 Living in 2005 to change the way people give presents. The company partners with over 600 providers to offer unique and memorable experiential gifts. The Cloud 9 Living portfolio includes experiences that range from adventure to relaxing to cultural. Customers can choose from over 1,700 experiences in 43 regions. 

Connect with Cloud 9 Living on FacebookTwitterGoogle+Pinterest, and YouTube.


Favorite features

  • Wide variety of experiences to pick from. Cloud 9 Living presents you with an assortment of experience options in one site so you don't have to do individual searches.
  • A fabulous alternative to a material gift
  • Perfect for men and women, even kids
  • Discount offered when purchasing more than 1 experience
  • Perfect for any occasion: holiday, birthday, anniversary, wedding/shower, congratulatory gift

Disclosure: I was provided free products to facilitate a review. No other compensation was provided. All opinions expressed are my own.