Wednesday, September 19, 2012

IHOP Simple & Fit Serves Healthier Options

My family and I enjoy eating out like any other family. Sometimes, eating out is inevitable. Whether it's to a friend's home for a gathering, a restaurant for a celebration, at the mall while shopping, or when you're just plain too tired to cook, eating outside the home happens. I know that eating healthy while you're out can be challenging. Thankfully, restaurants are offering lower calorie options in their menu.


This fall, IHOP introduces new items to its Simple & Fit menu. The concept behind 
Simple & Fit is to offer menu items under 600 calories. Is that possible with pancakes? Yes, it is. In 2010, IHOP launched the Simple & Fit menu with 30 items under 600 calories.


ihop simple & fit

Today, IHOP has expanded its line to include oatmeal, whole wheat pancakes, waffles, and crêpes. I love crêpes. If nothing on the 
Simple & Fit menu appeals to your current mood, fear not. Throughout IHOP's menu you can find tips on how to reduce your caloric intake by making a few changes to classic menu items.


ihop simple & fit

After a long day for hubby and me, I suggested we go out to IHOP. We are a pancake loving family so eating breakfast for dinner will be a treat for Big B. In each menu category, I found an option or two that are Simple & Fit menu items. They are clearly marked so you can't miss them. We ordered: Seasonal Fresh Fruit Crêpes, Spinach, Mushroom & Tomato Omelette, Grilled Tilapia, and Kid's pancakes and Mac N Cheese. 


ihop simple & fit


I was able to sample everything we ordered (and actually finished my dishes). My husband commented that technically my dishes combined were over 600 calories and it defeated the purpose of the spirit of the 
Simple & Fit menu. I told him that I'm breastfeeding and I don't necessarily have to stick to any limits. Enough said. I do understand that he has a point. Each item is 600 calories for a reason, they are portioned well.


ihop simple & fit

I wasn't sure what to expect when we got the items. How were they going to serve something for less than 600 calories? Were they going to skimp on taste? To my surprise, they didn't. Most of the dishes were flavored well and tasted good. As I mentioned above, they focused on portion control (i.e. two crêpes instead of four). They replaced rich sauces with lighter ones and used more veggies and fruits for flavor and filling. Out of all the dishes we ordered, only the Mac N Cheese did not get a thumbs up. The noodles were overcooked and the cheese sauce was bland. Other than that, we enjoyed everything.


ihop simple & fit

We pretty much licked our plates clean. Everyone was satiated. No one was still hungry or wanted something to top us off. Overall, a good (low-calorie) meal.



ihop simple & fit

A little about IHOP

IHOP was founded by brothers Al and Jerry Lapin in Toluca Lake, CA. Since the flagship store opened its doors in 1958, there are over 1,500 restaurants in North, Central, and South America. The restaurant is known for their signature pancakes as well as omelettes and other breakfast specialties.  

Connect with IHOP on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube.


Disclosure: I received a gift card to facilitate my review. No other compensation was provided. All opinions expressed are my own.