Friday, May 27, 2011

REVIEW: Sport-Brella

SUN SAFETY SERIES
In continuing with my Sun Safety Series, I review an umbrella which is a great on the go item for parents with active children. It not only provides shade and protection from the sun's damaging UV rays, but also from other elements like rain. Remember, today is "Don't Fry Day," so be safe: use sunscreen, wear protective clothing and accessories, and seek shade when outdoors.

PRODUCT
Manufacturer

Social Networks

Products

Materials
100% polyester

Made In 
China

Price
$59.99

MY THOUGHTS
Assembly
All products are assembled.

Design 
This umbrella is huge, 8 feet wide. It offers a lot of protection from the sun, thanks to its circumference and the side flaps. The "windows" on the Sportbrella are awesome. Although this umbrella provided shade, when there was no wind, it got hot underneath. We usually opened the "windows" to cool off. I would say that it's more stable on grass, at least the stakes are more secure on grass than on sand. The company does provide bags for sand to stabilize the umbrella. I love that the material is UPF 50+ for sun protection. 
Durability
So far, so good.

Functionality
This has been a useful product for us. My family has used it at the beach and at the park. It was perfect for providing coverage while my son was building sand castles. My aunt actually bought one after she saw us use it at the beach. We have repositioned the Sport-Brella to provide maximum coverage, since the sun moves throughout the day. It's was easy since the whole thing is not too heavy. It was also easy to set up and take down, like most umbrellas.
Price
I bought the Sport-Brella at Costco last year and I don't remember paying $59.99. It is a bit pricey. However, I am guessing that most good quality outdoor equipment doesn't come cheap.

Safety
We have not had any safety issues with this product.

Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this post. The product in this review was purchased by my family. The opinions expressed in this post are solely mine. I was under no obligation to provide a positive review.