Thursday, January 31, 2013

Freecycle Helps Me Stay Green

A green lifestyle isn't always about using eco-friendly products, although it certainly helps. It can be about reducing your consumption of natural resources or reducing your footprint on the planet by minimizing trash disposal. Two years ago, I posted about swap sites. Swap sites are online sites where you can exchange things you no longer want or need for something you do. For example, if you no longer need your maternity clothes and are looking for baby stuff, check out swap sites. Have a stack of CDs or video games you no longer play, check out swap sites.


One of my favorite site is freecycle.org. Freecycle.org is fantastic. Everything is free. You get for free. You give for free. (Check out other swap sites here and here.)  On one of my recent offers, I was able to not only keep stuff I no longer needed or used from going into the landfill, but I've even helped girls scouts with a project.

I posted an offer ad for the baby swing above. Within a few hours, I receive an email about it. The lady who emailed said her daughter is a Girl Scout and is collecting items for teens who are pregnant. As soon as I found that out, I looked around the house and garage for more stuff to give. You know the rule, if you haven't used it in two years, get rid of it. We were blessed with so many baby gear from family and friends when I was pregnant with Big B; some were used, some slightly used, and others brand new. Now, I had an opportunity to do the same for someone else. In addition to the swing, I gave her other gear and baby necessities. All that stuff will go to a new home instead of cluttering the landfill. 

It turns out that the lady who emailed is a reader of this blog (she did not know who I was when she contacted me about the swing). So, to my fan and her friends, I say, Thank you. Thanks for stopping by this blog. I am honored. I hope your daughter's project is successful.

Of course, I've been on the receiving end on Freecycle. A few months ago, I posted a want ad for a deckle. Weeks later, someone responded to my ad. I now have a paper making kit free of charge (paper making tutorial to come). I suppose the cliché is true: One man's trash is another man's treasure.

So, the next time you are looking for materials for a project, decorations for a party, moving boxes, baby gear, etc, try Freecycle. And, if you want to get rid of something, clear some space, or don't want the hassle and drama of selling on craigslist, try Freecycle.


Have you ever used Freecycle or other swap sites? What are some of your favorite finds?

Disclosure: I was not compensated for this post. All opinions express are my own.