Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Exploring the Antarctic with Kiwi Crate - Holiday Gift Guide

Big B loves arts and crafts. He enjoys creating things with his hands. I wish I were more creative with projects that we can do together, but I am not gifted that way. Thankfully, there are companies who can help me; companies that create subscription boxes. These are great. There are subscription boxes for everything, even for arts and crafts. Subscription boxes provide everything you need for an activity, from the paper to the paste.
We received the Antarctica Box from Kiwi Crate to review. After opening the box, Big B couldn't wait to get started. I took inventory to see if everything was inside. There were three projects included in the box.

Activity ideas

  • Penguin bowling
  • Aurora postcards
  • Ice experiments
  • Lesson plan

I asked him which activity he wanted to do first and penguin bowling won. I left the room to check on Little B and when I got back, Big B had already put stickers on the penguins. This activity was intuitive and didn't need a lot of direction or guidance from adults. The idea card that came with it actually gauges difficulty and parent involvement. I thought that was nice.



As Big B rushed to get all the stickers on the penguins, I tried to chat with him about some of the talking points suggested. Yeah, he wasn't having any of it. He just wanted to put on the stickers and bowl.

The whole time he was putting stickers on, I kept thinking that this box would be perfect for his cousins. My nieces would love it. They would especially like creating the Aurora cards. I wasn't too keen on subscription boxes before, not until I tried Kiwi Crate. Even if I weren't going to use this for our family, we attend so many children's parties that I could certainly use a box to give as a gift.


Favorite features

  • A fun and creative way to teach a lesson about penguins, Antarctica, science
  • Everything you need for a project is included in the box: ideas, instructions, and materials
  • Multiple activities per box
  • It was delivered to my home - I didn't have to go anywhere to pick up supplies or look online for ideas
After using the traditional bowling pin positions, Big B started creating his own. He put the penguins in a circle, got props from his train set to stack them up, basically just getting creative and letting his imagination run wild. He really had fun. I'm sure we"ll b seeing the penguins often this holiday season.


About Kiwi Crate

Kiwi Crate is the brainchild of Sandra, a mom passionate about encouraging creativity and curiosity in children. The company is comprised of parents, experts, and kid testers to bring customers a fun-filled crate of projects. Each crate comes with all the materials and inspiration to complete several projects. Crates allow kids to build, create, and explore together. Subscriptions can be purchased for $19.95 per month or $220 per year, and include free shipping. Additional sibling materials are available for $7.95 per month.

Connect with Kiwi Crate on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and YouTube.

Disclosure: I was provided free products to facilitate my review. No other compensation was provided. All opinions expressed are my own.