Tuesday, February 22, 2011

REVIEW: Episencial® Sunny Sunscreen SPF 35

SUN SAFETY SERIES
Soon enough winter will leave us behind. As spring and summer approach, sun protection will be all the buzz. Using sunscreen is a great preventive behavior to protect yourself and loved one from the sun's damaging UV rays. There are two types of sunscreen: chemical and physical. Chemical sunblocks absorb the UV rays while physical sunblocks reflect or scatter the UV rays before reaching your skin. The UCSF Skin Cancer page has in depth descriptions of type of sunscreen as well as what sun protection factor (SPF) to use. FYI, Friday, May 27, 2011 is "Don't Fry Day" to encourage sun safety awareness. 

PRODUCT
Manufacturer
Episencial® is dedicated to making natural skin care products using sustainable techniques - sustainably farmed ingredients, solar power for manufacturing products, and recycled packaging products. Informed by experts in medicine/health, environment, and maternal/child care, Episencial® strives to provide effective, safe, and sustainable products for actively healthy families. 
  
Founder
Kim Walls comes from a family of skin care experts. She is a mother, clinical skin care and nutritional science expert, an environmental health activist and supporter of corporate responsibility, a published author, and spokesperson for Episencial®.

Social Networking
Facebook, Twitter

Product
Sunny Sunscreen SPF 35

Ingredients
Active: Titanium Dioxide (Sunscreen) 10%, Zinc Oxide (Sunscreen) 4%
What you won't find: synthetic additives  

Made In
California, US

Price
$14.99


Current Promotion
In an effort to educate parents about improving their child's health and well-being, Episencial® is giving a free full-sized Protective Face Balm to anyone who completes their Safe Skincare certification program online.         
MY THOUGHTS 
Design
Sunny Sunscreen is easy to apply, not greasy, and has a very faint fragrance. I've used a lot of different types of children's sunblock from organic to non-organic and spreadable to spray in an effort to protect my son. (Yes, spraying him is so much easier, but I really am making more of an effort to use natural products both for personal and home use.) I recommend this product to parents who are interested in sun protection, regardless of whether they are "green" minded or not.
Functionality
I have used other Episencial® products on my son and love them. The Sunny Sunscreen is no exception. I prefer to use a physical sunblock on him even if he doesn't have sensitive skin. The only drawback is that most physical sunblock leave a white residue even after you rub it in. Not so with the Sunny Sunscreen. I have used another organic physical sunblock and Sunny Sunscreen is my favorite between the two. The other one worked well; it protected my son and he didn't get burnt. However, he always looked a little pale because of the residue. In the picture above, I put Sunny Sunscreen on one of his arms. Can you tell which arm? Also, the other one was difficult to wash off, but then again, I may have put on a bit too much. I do reapply sunscreen, especially after swimming or playing in the water. 

Safety
We have not had any safety issues with this product. I have used this on my son's face and even after rubbing his eyes, there have been no problems.

Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this post. I won the product in this review from a website giveaway and not the actual company. The opinions expressed in this post are solely mine. I was under no obligation to provide a positive review. I received permission from the company to use their trademarked brand/log in my blog.