Sunday, March 13, 2011

REVIEW: Quicksilver™ Toddler Shorty Springsuit

In the pool, at the beach, or at the lake, appropriate swimwear is a must. It's not only for the sake of a fashion statement, but for protection. Traditionally worn by people engaging in diving, surfing, and other water sports, wetsuits offer warmth and abrasion protection. For kids who get cold easily while swimming, a wetsuit is a good alternative to other swimwear products. 

PRODUCT
Manufacturer
Quicksilver™

Materials
100% superstretch neoprene

Product
1.5mm Toddler's Quiksilver™ Shorty Springsuit

Price
$39.95

Available Online
Yes; I bought mine from Wetsuit Wearhouse
MY THOUGHTS
Design
I like that this is a one-piece outfit; it is less hassle to keep track of things. However, I wish the sleeves were a bit longer to cover more, at least down to the elbows. Also, it would have been nice if this had UV protection embedded in the neoprene. Other than that, the springsuit is too cute.

Durability
The suit was easy to put on, take off, and maintain. I followed the manufacturer's recommended instruction for washing to extend it's shelf life. Just rinse in fresh water and hang to dry. My son used it in different water environments and the springsuit has withstood both chlorine and salt water. If he hadn't already outgrown it, I would use it again this season. (Toddlers grow so fast.)

Functionality
I love this springsuit. To say that my son's weight is on the lower quartile for his height and age in an understatement...he is skinny. We bought this suit to keep him warm while swimming and playing in water. Even during the hot SoCal months he would shiver in the water. This suit did the trick. It's thick enough to provide insulation but doesn't restrict movement. I called customer service because I was not sure what size to get. He told me to use the height measurement, instead of the age and weight, to ensure proper fit. In addition to its functionality, it looks very cute on my son.

Price
I had not bought swimwear for my son prior to this purchase as we received hand-me-downs from family. I wanted to find an online retailer with the product I wanted and offered free shipping. I found Wetsuit Wearhouse. Although it's a bit pricey for me, the price for the Quiksilver™ Shorty Springsuit is comparable to other springsuits of the same quality.

Safety
We have had no safety issues with this product.

Disclaimer: I was not compensated for this post. The product in this review was purchased by my family. The opinions expressed in this post are solely mine. I was under no obligation to provide a positive review.